Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sandwich generation?

Actually I feel more like part of a triple decker with my husband forced to retire as a mechanic due to neck problems, a 21-year-old son who still lives and home and now my Dad. My Dad just recently turned 92. Last year he had to sell the home he had lived in for 40 years and moved into enriched care. In the past few months he has started to become quite confused and after another bump on the head I took him to the hospital. I was afraid he had another bleed that was making him confused, he was admitted and diagnosed with what I thought was dementia and it was recommended he be placed in a nursing home. What I was told was that a nursing home was cheaper than assisted living and assisted living was self pay so when he ran out of money he would have to go on Medicaid and be transferred to a nursing home which was harder on a demented patient. So after weeks of applying for homes Dad got a bed in a place about 15 minutes from me. I signed all his papers and I brought him up to his room. The social worker told me that in all the four years she had worked there she had never had a patient walk in on his own. After seeing his room I just couldn't do it. He might be a bit loopy but all the residents around him couldn't carry on any kind of conversation, most just sat in chairs in the hallway all day just waiting for the next meal. So I set a plan in motion to bring him home with me. Hey, it was probably the only way I was going to get the spare room painted. Dad spent a week rehabbing and moved in a couple of weeks ago. It has been an adjustment for a morning person to move in with a family of night owls. I feel like I've adopted a 92-year-old.

On the stitching front I finally finished Celtic Banner. I pretty much hated every minute that I stitched on it but it was something my husband asked for. In the end it turned out great. I'll have to post a picture. I think it wasn't so much all the color changes but more the chart itself. There were brown squares and red squares and it was just hard to mark everything off. Because of the paranoia of the designer and the different colored symbols I couldn't make a working copy and since the chart was on both sides of the paper the symbols in the creases were very difficult to read. I think in the future I am going to hold on to the Amish patterns but will get rid of the newer charts that were done in two colors.

The works in progress include The Quaker Mystery Sampler from last year which I work on at home. In my stitching bag I'm carrying around LHN From Sea to Shing Sea and Good Huswife's June Morning. JM is done on black so I reserve that for my away stitching when I am sitting outside. At the rate I'm going that will be in my bag forever. My rotation, if you want to call it that, is after my at-home project is finished I move up the one in my stitching bag and start something new. This way I do finish some projects.

No comments: